CanUK's Build Thread

Fragen und Berichte zu Umbauten

Re: CanUK's Build Thread

Beitragvon CanUK » 18. Juni 2019, 11:35

A little more. I suspect the can will be far too loud, but happy to give it a try. The exhaust is Projection Components

Bild
CanUK

Beitragvon dennis121181 » 19. Juni 2019, 20:46

Nice work.

LG Dennis
9 von 10 Stimmen in meinem Kopf sagen mir das ich ganz normal bin, die andere summt die Melodie von Tetris.
dennis121181

Beitragvon CanUK » 18. Juli 2019, 16:07

Bike's home now again (finally) and time to start putting things back together (fitting the RS125 seat to the new subrame currently). I'm thinking about new carbs and have been trying to work my way through the carb info on the site (as best as I can with google translate at least). I can see that the TM34-B65 set is recommended, but:

- Is that partly due to the German limitations on modifications (needing to look original)? If I'm not overly bothered about retaining the airbox or originality (or appearance of) should I consider other options?

- At present I just have the Projection Components exhaust with an open muffler/can, and Bill's ignition, but over time would like to add a cam/porting and possibly a big-bore kit (plus lighten the flywheel, maybe remove the balancer etc) the bike will be a weekend toy on the roads with some track days (the more the better, but we'll see what I can manage). Which setup is most likely to give me some improvements now, but still be able to grow?

www.allensperformance.co.uk lists for the SZR:

FCRH-3935-001 FCR39 (Horizontal) Yamaha Yamaha SZR660/XTZ660 35/39mm
FCRH-37-211 FCR37 (Horizontal) Yamaha Yamaha SZR660
TM34/38-B65-660 TM34/38 (RS34/38) 34/38 Yamaha Yamaha SZR660/XTZ660 34/38mm

...plus presumably also the twin 34 mikuni kit if I ask for it. I've emailed them for a bit more info, but not yet had a reply. I've seen a post on the MZ forum from someone representing Slipstream (unfortunately now out of business) suggesting FCR's but that didn't say whether they were appropriate at the lightly-modified end of tuning. What's valued the opinion/experience of the SZR forum please? Still counts to me, even if Allen's do reply. :D

Thanks,
Mike
CanUK

Beitragvon AndreasP » 19. Juli 2019, 15:19

Hi Mike,

look at: https://www.mikuni-topham.de/ENGLISHSIT ... glish.html

and ask for Stephen Topham.

Andreas
AndreasP

Beitragvon CanUK » 19. Juli 2019, 15:24

AndreasP hat geschrieben:Hi Mike,

look at: https://www.mikuni-topham.de/ENGLISHSIT ... glish.html

and ask for Stephen Topham.

Andreas

Thanks!
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 22. Juli 2019, 10:14

Popped the new subframe off an balanced it on the kitchen scales just for fun - about 740g :D Not weighed the original but it's clearly a lot more than that.
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 1. August 2019, 18:50

Where things are at the moment.

Bild

Bild

Short(er) term to-do list:

- Sort out the electrics: re-work, or attempt to replace the wiring harness for a "daylight MOT" (no lights etc) config -moving a few of the under-seat components to other locations.
- Order an appropriate set of carbs (everyone seems to be on hols at the moment)
- Sort out the cooling (have ordered an SV650 knock-off radiator- should be here in the next couple of days). Pic below
- Lighten the flywheel. I have a lathe, and hoping to have-a-go despite not being a machinist of any measure.
- Replace the balancer gear (parts already sitting on the shelf).
- Get the bike started.
- Order a front fairing (going I think upper-3/4 for now as I CBA to deal with the oil tank at the moment).
- Look at fitting the FZR400RR rear wheel I have sitting in the garage. Been a while since I looked at this, but I think it's mainly just needing a new, thinner (10mm from memory?) rear brake caliper hanger -so maybe also an opportunity for a lightweight caliper to go with the projection components disk (I'm not much of a back-braker). Anyone seen this -www.isrbrakes.se/products/calipers/22-036.html ?

As an aside- Hopefully I'm not boring anyone, or annoying/offending anyone by posting in English. I'm not nearly clever enough to attempt German, and I don't trust Google to do a reasonable translation (having regularly experienced how dodgy the translation is the other way as I try and keep up with this forum) :D

Bild
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 3. August 2019, 10:14

So no surprises that it needs some tweaking of brackets, and will need 25-19mm adapters for the pipes (the silicone hose guys do those), but a decent match for size and I think it'll be a reasonable "fix"

Bild
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 14. August 2019, 09:59

So faced with a rusted out coolant pipe that's NLA from Yamaha:

Bild

I've managed to find one that I think will work, from a Raptor 660:

Bild

Obviously a bit different shape, but I think (looking at as many pics as I could fine online) it will work OK with the new radiator and hose routing. Had to order from the US -shipping cost as much as the parts :?
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 25. August 2019, 21:47

Raptor 660 coolant pipe (an new o-ring) arrived:

Bild

...and installed. Not the clearest of pics, sorry, but hopefully shows plenty of clearance (trimming or replacement/re-routing of lines of course):

Bild

Wasn't particularly cheap in the end - parts were not too bad (Partzilla in the US), shipping cost nearly as much as the parts, and then a further £5 duty and £8 handling charged on arrival to the UK. Probably more economical if you're ordering the solid balancer gear etc at the same time. Otherwise might be cheaper to have something made up locally.
CanUK

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Umbauten