CanUK's Build Thread

Fragen und Berichte zu Umbauten

CanUK's Build Thread

Beitragvon CanUK » 19. April 2015, 21:38

Figured I'd start a build thread to document some of the changes I'm making. This is not very organised, nor very cutting-edge, but somebody might find it useful or interesting. I've been keeping a log of weights of parts removed and those that I've replaced them with, and started a spreadsheet. I'll post up the total later, along with any bits particularly interesting, or weights of parts anyone is particularly interested in.

On with the show...

Here's some of the bits being swapped:

Bild

Titanium fasteners. Plenty more added since this pic -I'm to replace as many as possible, but there are a few that are challenging to find.

Bild

The ignition I've posted before:

Bild

Talon 43T rear sprocket and Projection Components lightweight rear disk:

Bild

Front disk:

Bild

Bild

Installed with Ti bolts for the disk, and the caliper:

Bild

Ti bolts for the rear caliper also, plus Ti axle adjuster bolts and nuts. The original caliper bolts seemed to be made of cheese and both rounded out. I had to grind them off, but working in a crapmed space white tired... I ended up with a few minor marks on the caliper and the swingarm :evil: :

Bild

These went on today - Renthal clip-ons and Brembo radial pump:

Bild

The clutch perch is a bit tight - it works, but I think it needs replacing. Maybe one of the nice billet MX perches. Brembo do a cable clutch perch that matches the radial brake pump, but it's about as expensive as the radial brake pump as well. I'm open to suggestions :)

Bild

A few more Ti bolts:

Bild

Bild

Yoke pinch-bolts and front axle pinch bolt have been replaced with Ti (tapered cap head).

I've mounted the GSXR shock as well, but not pics of it in place yet. I've replaced the shock mount and most of the linkage bolts with Ti (still looking for the really long ones). I had to drill out the bottom holes on the shock, and use 5mm stainless spacers on either side of the top mount. The lower mounts tabs for the battery box hit the reservoir preventing the subframe from bolting up. I have a new fibreglass seat unit on the way, and will order a LiFePo battery, but need to decide whether to get an original subframe and modify it to fit (cheap option for now), try to modify an Al subframe from another bike, or bite the bullet and get a custom Al subframe made (expensive and likely to take a long time).

I have a 4.5" rear wheel from a 3TJ FZR400, but I need a custom thinner rear caliper hanger to get it to fit. That means learning to use a CAD program if I want something that looks a bit more GP-cool than what I might be able to pull off with a hacksaw and files.

I'm also still waiting to get my repaired radiator back - it's proving to be a bit of a struggle to coordinate the timing.

More to follow...
CanUK

Re: CanUK's Build Thread

Beitragvon CanUK » 19. April 2015, 21:43

Almost forgot... I'm also trying to find either Ti studs, or Ti fully-threaded bolts to replace the orginal sprocket bolts, but not having much luck finding either (at least at a reasonable price). If anyone knows where to find them, please do speak up :)
CanUK

Beitragvon dennis121181 » 20. April 2015, 21:38

Really nice thread and parts. I like to see more pictures.

LG Dennis
9 von 10 Stimmen in meinem Kopf sagen mir das ich ganz normal bin, die andere summt die Melodie von Tetris.
dennis121181

Beitragvon CanUK » 20. April 2015, 23:02

Thanks Dennis. More pics will follow shortly as time permits, parts arrive, and as long as anyone is interested. :)
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 29. April 2015, 10:54

This arrived today (with thanks to Rocco for the suggestion):

Bild

Claimed weight 558g, cost was about £30. If it lasts a season I'll be happy, but it's cheap enough that I won't cry if it isn't up to the task :D
CanUK

Beitragvon dennis121181 » 29. April 2015, 21:29

Nice. 30 Pounds, that is really cheap. My parts for the carburator, didn't arrive.

I am still waiting. :evil:

LG Dennis
9 von 10 Stimmen in meinem Kopf sagen mir das ich ganz normal bin, die andere summt die Melodie von Tetris.
dennis121181

Beitragvon CanUK » 30. April 2015, 10:31

Hi Dennis,

I've been following your thread (as much as the Google translation allows) -hopefully you get it sorted soon :)

I won this Ti end-can on eBay late last night for cheap-ish (£66):

Bild

Bild

Bild

I don't mind loud too much, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a dB-killer:

Bild

And a visit to a welder:

Bild

But still, it's quite cheap and hopefully very light. I'll be trying to mate it to my Projection Components exhaust (due to arrive next week). They're apparently expecting Ti exhaust studs in as well, so I've asked to be sent some of those at the same time.
CanUK

Beitragvon CanUK » 3. Mai 2015, 21:15

A little more progress today, and a bit of a set-back...

Re-purposed the rear reservoir and a bit of Tygon tubing. The steel bolt will get swapped for Ti or Al:

Bild

The rear "reservoir" will now be "GP" style using the leftover Tygon and a billet bung:

Bild

Fitted the new DID non-o-ring chain, Talon 43T rear sprocket and JT 15T front sprocket (still needs torquing before I can bend the lock-washer):

Bild

Bild

And then, anticipating the new Projection Components exhaust arriving this coming week, I decided to remove the original. One stud came out along with the nut, two nuts came off cleanly, and then...

Bild

Bild

Boooo! Well at least it's not snapped off flush. Unfortunately not enough thread left to get a nut on it. Tomorrow it will get some heat, and I'll attack it with the Knipex Cobras.

The other two remaining studs fortunately look reasonable and hopefully they'll come out without any grief.
CanUK

Beitragvon dennis121181 » 4. Mai 2015, 21:22

Where do you get the clear tube from? (Breakfluidtube)

LG Dennis
dennis121181

Beitragvon CanUK » 4. Mai 2015, 22:19

Hi Dennis,

A bit of research turned up that Tygon 2375 is the stuff to have (no sweating, discolouration etc)- better apparently than even the Honda HRC tubing. I popped that into eBay and turned up this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121477855550? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It came with the plastic plug shown and also a the billet plug I installed on my bike. 12"/30cm was enough for both front and rear reservoirs.
CanUK

Nächste

Zurück zu Umbauten